This is a winning once in a lifetime opportunity for qualified professional to work as Director of Architecture for this prestigious Development company specialized and leaders in Multi Family Development. The qualified Registered Architect is responsible for all phases of project design, program guidelines and financial constraints.
With three main branches of expertise, this real estate development company specializing in commercial, market rate, affordable, and senior housing developments. Headquartered in Indianapolis, IN, they were formed in 2007 and since then have expanded into over 15 states. Through its related entities, Development, Construction, and Management, this company is able to see a development from concept to lease-up to stabilization. As proven leaders in the multifamily space.
The Director of Architecture is the department head responsible for managing the design programs for a multi-state full-service Development organization. The director is an integral member of the construction department leadership team and provides business input related to the architecture and engineering professions. The position supervises other design team members and is responsible for the team’s day-to-day operating and financial activities. Responsibilities include developing and monitoring quality design standards for all projects and is accountable for maintaining the department design standards for each project type. The Director of Architecture is responsible for all phases of project design that comply with the projects program guidelines and financial constraints per the pro-forma.
- Director of Architecture will oversee an architectural department that plans and designs diverse Multi-Family Apartment projects throughout the country.
- Shall schedule and manage architectural programs and design team activities providing quality assurance to all phases of the Design Documents.
- Is the senior technical leader in the department, will play a key role in mentoring and coaching others.
- Will lead an office and share knowledge, experience and skill sets with others.
- Manage budgets, client relationships and oversee all design teams by working with the Development Managers and Preconstruction Managers in a collaborative effort.
- Assures the high quality, coordination and completeness of drawing sets issued throughout the design process.
Preferred Experience/ Skills:
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in multi-family design.
- Section 42 tax credit program projects.
- Rehabilitation, Adaptive Re-Use, and New Construction.
- Comprehensive understanding of building code construction types.
- NGBS, LEED, or other Green Building certification process.
- Ability to prepare complete construction document plans and relevant specifications.
- Knowledge of Fair Housing guidelines and Equal Housing Opportunity requirements.
- Strong ability to create 3-D Modeling and presentation graphics.
- Strong understanding of Contract Administration.
- Managing multiple direct reporting employees.
- Degree in Architecture from an Accredited University.
- Valid Indiana Architect’s License, ability to acquire license in additional states as required.
- Active registration with NCARB.
- LEED or other Green Building Accreditation.
- Autodesk/REVIT proficient with VDC clash detection skills
Key Performance Objectives:
- Aptitude to work with and manage multiple architectural, structural, civil, landscape, and MEP consultants on various multi-family and/or commercial projects.
- Lead the project team(s) for multiple projects to comply with schedule, budgetary constraints, and code compliance throughout all phases of design.
- Submit drawings to state and local authorities in various locations, as well as submit for all variances that may be required.
- Ability to create conceptual layouts, massing plans, and general site layouts to determine a project’s feasibility and establish preliminary pro-forma.
- Understanding of project requirements in order to establish a project-specific design plan (i.e., Section 42 vs. Market Rate).
- Work with Companies Development and Pre-Construction in value analysis objectives to bridge the gap between pro-forma, budget, and required design aesthetics.
- Proactively solve design, scope, and possible field issues along with other additional responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. This list is not all inclusive of the role’s potential requirements.
Director of Architecture- Position Responsibilities
- Holds 3rd party design team accountable for meeting performance standards and successfully delivering on project objectives as originally established and issued to Development company.
- Establishes areas of accountability and performance objectives, monitors execution and provides ongoing feedback to design team, project teams, owners, etc.
- Serves as resource for answering the project team questions and assisting with solving problems. This extends outside of the project team to company-wide issues, if applicable.
- Able to manage multiple employees that directly report to this position. This includes hiring, annual reviews, and compensation input to companies Leadership.
- Provides building code and zoning ordinance expertise to design staff
- Provides ADA & FHA expertise to the design staff
- Supports the professional development of the staff.
- Responsible for the onboarding and training of new staff
- Completes the required continuing education requirements per their jurisdiction to maintain their professional license.
- Assists Leadership with project proposals to determine goals, time frame, budget limitations, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of resources.
- Assists Leadership with department operations. Helps in setting goals, strategy, staffing, scheduling, identification of risks, contingency plans, and allocation of available resources.
- Leads department operations and develops internal process and protocol to ensure the design team runs effectively.
- Reviews proposals from consulting engineers for conformity to project requirements and determines acceptable fees for work.
- Meets with Design Project Managers and reports workload, project status and staffing needs.
- Secures Building Permits for each project.
- Understanding and implementing maximum square footages, necessary fire separations, frequently granted variances, com check, ASHRAE regulations, etc.
- Understanding of code compliant paths to maximize building efficiencies.
- Understanding of developing layouts that result in efficient structural designs.
- Ensures complete understanding of all project requirements and oversees all potential design phases.
- Assures departmental participation in attendance of development, pre-design, pre-construction, meetings for all prospect, current, and upcoming projects.
- Manages schedules for multiple ongoing projects with continuing changes in priorities and needs.
- Assists project team in foreshadowing any possible design challenges and working with the project team to provide value analysis services.
- Construction Administration will be provided for all projects fully designed and stamped by the Lead Architect. These include the following requirements:
- Site observation visits as required.
- Monthly reporting is required by any entity having jurisdiction over project funding (i.e., HUD).
- Timely review shop drawings and submittals for various active projects.
- Timely review and response to issued RFl’s.
- Provide final certificates of Substantial Completion and other documents needed by governing officials, inspectors, financial partners, and owners.
- Site observation visits as required.
- Eligible for Designer of Record signing and sealing responsibilities, based on business need.
- Other duties as assigned.